Sunday 8 March 2015

14. This is where Poland began.

I have been studying in Poznań for almost two years and I realised that during this time I haven't visited any famous places in the city. I decided to change this as soon as possible, that's why yesterday I went on a little trip with my boyfriend. We chose to see Ostrów Tumski - the oldest part of Poznań, which has a historical meaning for our country. There was a settlement established by Poland's first ruler, Duke Mieszko I, so it's a very significant spot for our national identity. For me and my boyfriend, it was a great occasion to find out something more about the local history and to spend the afternoon in an interesting way. The weather was perfect, so our excursion was really succesful. We were walking through the island's streets, admiring old buildings. We also took part in the city game, named "The fellowship of explorers". We had to find some hints on the monuments and then compose a password from them. It was like a sightseeing combined with entertainment, so we enjoyed this challenge very much, especially because we solved the puzzle :). What's more, we visited Porta Posnania - the city gate, which was opened for visitors a year ago. Inside the gate there is a museum where we can familiarize ourselves with facts about Poznań. The exhibitions are modern, we can get the information thanks to videos, pictures, timelines, scale models and multimedia panels. I must admit that it's impressive and totally worth seeing. Besides that, we went to the Archdiocese Museum, the Archeological Reserve and the Archcathedral Basilica of St. Peter and St. Paul as well. This day was tiresome, because we were walking all the time. Nevertheless, it was quite a fascinating trip and I intend to organise something similar again. 

Of course, I took a lot of pictures that day and I want to share with you some of them.







No comments:

Post a Comment